Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Time to put on those thinking caps




As the blog progresses and we uncover how people around the world of different races and cultures use the Internet, I began to think about my class. This semester our cohort is a lot bigger and unlike last semester where the majority of students were International, this year more Australians have joined the course. This enthusiastic cross section of students have one thing in common - the desire to be professional communicators. Although we all come from different backgrounds our choice of advanced study is the common thread between all of us although our ages range from early twenties to mid forties.

This academic lifestyle that we have chosen to be apart presents us with new opportunities of knowledge. As we go to the web to collate research and information for our classes, we also look to the Internet for jobs, industry updates and general knowledge about the field regionally and internationally.

If I use myself as an example, below are a few websites that I visit or I am member of that allows me to gain access to industry information.
I have recently joined business social networking site LinkedIn
I visit Australian Marketing site Mumbrella daily
I also receive daily updates from WARC - World Advertising Research Centre

This morning's visit to Mumbrella coincides with my post.




It is a new initiative from supermarket chain Aldi as they aim to hire 200 graduates over the next four years. The campaign entitled "Think Smart" is designed to drive graduates to the website in order to gain new or more information about Aldi's Graduate program. The campaign in being supported by print media, search advertising, careers fairs and targeted emailing.

http://mumbrella.com.au/aldi-launches-think-smarter-graduate-recruitment-drive-23259

I like the idea and initiative of this program from a brand building (loyalty/strengthening/identification) as well as consumer (purchaser/student) point of view. What I thought most interesting about it is how Aldi has incorporated education (CSR) into their communications plan as most students or professionals would be looking at a different outlet for such opportunities.

References:

Aldi launches ‘think smarter’ graduate recruitment drive. Retrieved April 21, 2010 from, http://mumbrella.com.au/aldi-launches-think-smarter-graduate-recruitment-drive-23259


Kellisa

No comments:

Post a Comment